Woke up at 530 to run this past Saturday. I am so glad I did. Ran for 77 minutes and the sun hadn’t even broken through the fog by the time I finished around 8 am. (I can take a while to get moving some mornings.)
I thought about how life is like running and vice versa.
- Some days, you feel awesome and like you could conquer the world. Other days, yeah…. Not so much.
- Some days, you have an equipment malfunction or your clothes don’t feel right. You are either too hot or too cold. If you allow it, it can ruin the entire experience. But only if you let it.
- You start out thinking the weather is perfect and so is everything else. Then, the skies open up and you get rained or snowed on. You can either then choose to quit or persevere and finish. I prefer to finish, because I know that feeling of pushing myself to achieve goals.
- Sometimes your clothing or a person rubs you the wrong way, leaving you feeling raw and irritated. You can let it ruin your whole day. Or not.
- A positive attitude is everything. Without it, you might as well climb back into bed.
- You need to pay attention to your body and know when to push it, or heed the signs to slow down.
- As you get older, it can take longer to get into your groove but once you get there, you can be unstoppable.
- Some things just get better with age.
- Some times it helps to have a friend around to push you, and sometimes it’s better to just go it alone.
- No matter how slowly or weakly you start out, it’s alway best to finish strong.